Untitled Untitled Untitled

Angels Among Us

So the coolest thing happened to me.  I don't really have a strong belief in anything divine or religious but I don''t discredit it either.  

Last year, my grandparents passed away.  My grandma (Nonie) in January and my grandpa (Nono) in October.  We were really close.  My family lived with them when I was little and then Jake and I lived with them throughout their last years to help take care of them so that they could stay in their home a little bit longer.  During the times where I didn't live with them, I saw them almost every day.


Over the summer (a little over a year after my nonie passed away), an unknown number called me while I was in class.  She left a message.  It was an older woman and the message said:
"Hi honey...this is your Nonie.  I was just thinking about you and wanted to tell you that I loved you!"

Needless to say, I lost it...right there in the library bathroom.  I felt like my Nonie was sending me a message.  It meant so much to me.  I tried to call the woman back to let her know that she had the wrong number but that I was happy that she dialed incorrectly. She didn't answer.


Today, 3 months later, the same number called.  This time I answered.  
"Hi honey...how was your day today?"
"Hi...I think you have the wrong number, but, are you a Nonie?"
"I'm so sorry! I've done that before but yes, I am a Nonie"

I told her how much her last message meant to me and that my nonie had recently passed away and her message felt like a hug from my grandma.  We got to talking and guess what? She and my nonie were cousins. Her and I had never met and didn't even know about the other.  She dialed my number, both times, completely by accident.  
We ended up talking for about 20 minutes about her family, my family, and memories of my grandparents.  It was so amazing.  
The last thing she said before she hung up was:
"As long as I'm around honey, you still have a Nonie that loves you."


I wrote this post in tears.  But the happiest of tears.  
Thank you, Lola, for accidentally calling me twice.  It means more than you will ever know.

Nicole
        Louise

No comments:

Post a Comment